Friday, January 13, 2012

Nostalgic Memories


The same morning used to be different till two years ago. It’s a day of Uttrayan (kite flying day), people in Gujarat wait desperately for this day and same was the situation in my house. My late grandfather and my brother secretly used to prepare for this day ten days before it. The mornings used to begin at 6, even though it was chilling. They are all set for full day fun.
 Loud music is heard all around, hundreds of colourful kites are scattered in the sky, people scream ‘kaipo cho!’, crazy foody people eat ‘Undhyu’,’fafdas’ and ‘jalebees’ is the scenario of this day. The atmosphere is full of excitement. Beautiful kites with light inside are seen at night in the sky. You really need an art to fly them.
 Nothing is changed around me but yes everything is changed at my home. My grandfather has left us forever long back but I still can’t forget the enthusiasm he had on this day. My brother has gone away for studies, Ismail, Talib and Turab (my cousins) and Gora and Gori aunty, again crazy kite flying lovers has shifted to another countries. Only thing that is same at my home is the special Gujarati food cooked. I am feeling nostalgic about the whole set of memories and sitting in a corner of my room to pen them down. With time things change, people go away but memories stay forever.

A few more memories are attached to this day. I remember spending two Uttrayan with friends. One at Priyanka’s house which was a fun day writing some funny things on the kites like ‘whoever catches it is a donkey’ and eating lots of food. Another was with Prachi’s family at her home. We looked at the sky, stare at our kites, screamed and ate!

Don’t know what will be the situation in the coming years but today I am badly missing Baji (my grandfather), Yunus, Gora, Gori, Ismail, Talib and Turab. Miss you all! I dedicate this note to you all and hope to meet you guys soon.

2 comments:

  1. Though I have never lived Uttrayan or visited Gujarat,your colourful description made me fly just to your memories and get involved in the bright excitement of this day... Thank You very very much..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure :) I used to love this day and today its only making me miss my family. :/

      Delete